Anyhow, our Tennis Kata implementation turned out to be very challenging. We decided to implement the observer pattern with the players as the subjects and the scoreboard as the observer. We ended up thrashing on design for the majority of the dojo, which is okay as we took away these bits of wisdom:
1)We should spend more time understanding the patterns we plan to use prior to trying to use them.
2) We should follow a work pattern where we define our interfaces and object relations in concept, then write the interfaces in code and the object relations using unit tests. Allow the unit tests to bring the design flaws to the surface. This work pattern should work for our professional lives as well as it works in the dojo setting.
Between now and the next dojo, I will work on the use case where we treat Players in aggregate as a subject for a scoreboard observer (I will also look to leverage the .NET native implementation of the Observer pattern). Glynn will work on the use case where the Game is the subject for the Scoreboard observer. Susheel will work on the use case where the Players individually are subjects for the Scoreboard observer.
My thanks go out to Altaf, Susheel, and Glynn for their contributions to making this dojo a success.